Sleep is a very important thing for growing babies. When grown-ups don’t get enough sleep they are cranky and need many cups of caffeine to get through the day. Some of the consequences of infants not sleeping are that they tend to be fussy, disagreeing with everything, their behaviour can be extreme and will be hyper.
The guideline for each age group for sleep is mentioned below:
- New born children need sleep up to eighteen hours and will wake up a few times to be fed.
- One to two months need four to five hours sleep at a stretch.
- Three to sex month infants can sleep up to nine hours and will additionally need day naps.
- Six months to one year needs a total number of 14 hours of sleep with two or three naps daily
White noise sounds are ideal for infants to fall asleep. It is a form of baby sleep therapy, which is very successful. These little noise makes helps to mask unnecessary noises by playing lullabies, heartbeat noises, or even humming.
The advantages of white noises
- Supports sleep – Infants tend to fall asleep quickly with white noises playing in the background. You might have noticed that little ones are able to close their eyes and doze off when there are noises. Therefore, it is said to be that babies will respond positively to white noises. This is perfect to be used at designated sleep school for babies.
- Masking of noises at home – If your household has many children, then the little child is able to nap soundly cause the household noises will be masked
- The heartbeat noise – Newborns find comfort when they hear the heartbeat sound of the mother.
The disadvantages of white noises
- Noise limit – This machine exceeds the minimum noise limit for infants, which is 50 decibels. This can also lead to problems with hearing and development of speech and language tends to be at risk. They should be placed at least two hundred centimetres away from the bed.
- Infants who respond very well to white noise machines tend to depend on this, as they grow older. Even if you want to leave them at the day care or at the grandparents’ house they will not nap without their little noise gadget.
- Some infants might not like the noises at all and prefer a silent space for napping.
So ensure that when using a noise sound machine, you need to ensure that it is used responsibly and does not affect your newborn because their growth will be upset.